Friday 1 July 2016

Day 1 post opp


So i am now writing about Tuesday 28th June which was the day after my surgery:

As i said in my last post the night was pretty uneventful, didnt really sleep just napped throughout. I got given some antibiotics in the night through my cannula which hurt! Felt like my vein was going to explode because they had to push it in really slowly!

I was offered breakfast at about 7:45 in the morning i chose to have ready brek and some tea. This was really easy to eat! I could feel half my tongue and half my lower lip which i didnt expect! I also found drinking from a cup with no straw easy too, my mouth could open wider than i thought and i was able to speak really clearly! My surgeon came in to see me at about 8:30 and was really impressed to see me eating. He checked my bite and asked how i was feeling, told him that i was in no pain and was glad it was over! He asked me if i wanted to go home today, to which i said yes!! He told the nurse to send me for x-rays and then take my drains out then i was good to go! I was still a bit tired so kept drifting off until they came to collect me for my x-rays. They took 1 of my cannula's out and i was then wheeled down for x-rays.

Nothing special about the x-rays, pretty normal! When i got back to the ward they took out my drains, which wasnt as bad as i thought it would be! I just felt some tugging but no pain, i was really glad these were out because i was frightened to move whilst they were in! They also took my other cannula out and i was allowed to get dressed into my own clothes!

I also had some sausage casserole for lunch with mash potato, and then some ice cream. I managed to eat a bit of this but it didnt taste great!


I took a photo in the morning - sorry i look really terrible! My hair is just.... wow. But anyway i look worse than i felt! I wasnt in any pain still and it was all just numb and heavy! I saw a dietitian before i left who gave me some protein shakes which i have to drink 2 of a day. My boyfriend then picked me up at about 4:10 in the afternoon and i had managed to clean myself up a bit by this point as you can see by the photo: 

I was given my pain medication and protein shakes and was sent on my way! I managed to walk from the ward to the car park - doesnt sound impressive but it was a long way considering i had just had major surgery! Once i got home i felt a bit tired and just wanted to relax! My boyfriend stayed for about 2 hours and then left, i had a bit of a cry when he left because i was so tired and emotional! I drank loads throughout the evening and just sat and chilled out. I managed to eat some tomato soup and a cup of tea. I went to bed at about 10pm and propped myself up on pillows so i was sleeping on an incline. My pain medicine consisted of strong ibuprofen and paracetamol, they also gave me codeine just in case it got really bad. So i dosed up on the ibuprofen and paracetamol and went to sleep. 

I didnt sleep amazingly well but i managed to sleep from about 11pm - 4:30am when i woke up, not in pain just woke up! I came downstairs and had a cup of tea with my dad and had a protein shake. Took some more painkillers and went back to bed and managed to sleep from 6:30 - 9am which wasnt bad! 

So far id say: 

Pain is 2/10 (10 being painful)
Comfort/Swelling 5/10
Tiredness 7/10

So now on to day 2 post opp on my next post! 


No comments:

Post a Comment